by Paul Enright
This book is a new edition and reorganisation of the existing book based on the new “Strands” in the curriculum
Strand 1: Principles and Practice
Chapters on Drawing and visual communication, Materials, Safety, Tools and Electronic components.
Strand 2: Energy and Control
Chapters on Energy, Electricity, Electronics, Digital Control Systems and Automation and Robotics.
Strand 3: Technology and Society
Chapters on Technology and Society, Inventions and discoveries and Information and communication technology.
Resources for Projects:
Chapters on Assembling projects, Your technology projects and Design and Manufacture.
• Contains up-to-date content based on examination questions.
• Is age-appropriate and visually attractive, offering the right balance of colour, images and text.
• Focuses on design tasks and the application of technologies in projects.
• Presents the content in manageable “chunks” via worked examples, “Test yourself”, activities and past exam questions for each topic.
• Includes plenty of practice with sketching and project development, i.e. choosing and combining different materials, tools, processes, mechanisms and circuits to solve real-life problems.
• Provides plenty of practice with carrying out calculations.
A noteworthy feature of “Applied Technology for Junior Cycle” is the “Design and Manufacture” chapter. This provides an opportunity for students to bring together the knowledge and skills that they have gained from previous chapters, in order to answer the “Design and Manufacture” examination questions. This chapter also provides students with valuable practice in and experience of designing, sketching and building their own technology projects.
The author Paul Enright is an electrical and electronic engineer, IT and business consultant and technical writer. He has worked in both multinational and Irish startup companies and is now an independent consultant. Paul played a key role as a project consultant on “Technology for Leaving Certificate” publication.
Usually despatched in 2-5 working days.